Ray White Leading Edge completed their third Compassion Project.
MEXICO: NEW BATHROOMS IN CHIMALHUACAN
The primary objective of this intervention was to construct two hygienic toilets and renovate two existing toilets at the ME-958, Rompiendo Cadenas Child Development Centre in Chimalhuacan, Mexico, to improve the sanitary conditions and hygiene practices of 128 registered children and help to reduce the incidence of hygiene-related diseases and improve their health and wellbeing.
The specific objectives were:
- To provide registered children with decent and hygienic bathrooms characterised by individual separation doors, washable floors and walls, sinks and water installation
- To ensure registered children have an understanding of sanitary hygiene and good bathroom maintenance
Through this proposal, Compassion Mexico strengthened the efforts of the local church to enhance hygiene and sanitation for 128 Compassion registered children through the renovation of existing toilets and the construction of new toilets and hand washing facilities. We have provided improved sanitary facilities and education on proper hygiene and sanitation practices to reduce the incidence of waterborne diseases in registered children and centre staff. This will help to protect the health and wellbeing of Compassion assisted children, the church members and the surrounding community.
The outcomes that this critical intervention delivered include:
- Children registered with ME-958, Rompiendo Cadenas Child Development Centre choose good health practices and are physically healthy
- Children will experience a reduced incidence of sickness, nutritional deficiencies and physical impediments
- Improved sanitary conditions and hygiene practices at the centre among registered children
- Providing children with an appropriate number of toilets will see an increase in knowledge surrounding sanitary and hygienic practices, which they can pass on to their community
- Decent and hygienic bathrooms installed at ME-958, Rompiendo Cadenas Child Development Centre
- The bathrooms will be characterised by individual separation doors, children-sized urinal (for boys), washable floors and walls, and sinks.
We met all costs associated with the construction of these bathrooms:
- Materials for construction
- Four toilets and four sinks
- Accessories required for installation
- Tiles for the walls and floors
- Four doors and five mirrors
- Bricks and cement for foundation and walls
- Water connections including pipes and fittings
- 1000L water tank with automatic shut down